Monday, March 22, 2010

In which I complain about the misuse of poetry

Many things have irritated me today, but only one has actually pissed me off. It involves this poem...

Invictus
Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find me, unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate;
I am the captain of my soul.
William Ernest Henley

This is a favorite poem of mine (a reminder here that I follow Norse Gods, this poem is very much their speed). I was already irritated when Timothy McVeigh quoted it. But now the crazy ass, anti-health care, kill Obama, we must all go to war people are quoting it too.
Now, I'm all about poetry meaning different things to different people, and so like all art it is the impression the words make on your soul that counts. I would just prefer that these Tea Partiers stick to stuff they actually understand. What speaks of war to some people speaks of courage in the face of the struggles in life to others.
However, thanks again Tea Baggers for a chance to use my Tea Baggings tag. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are now not moderated. Have at it folks! Don't make me regret it.