Monday, May 18, 2009

Percy Jackson

I started reading the Percy Jackson and the Olympian's series this weekend. I am also deeply in love with it.
I have worked as a children's librarian in two different libraries, and have a kid, so I deeply love children's lit. I have some of my favorite series at home (Harry Potter, Artemis Fowl, and the Series of Unfortunate Events), along with some stand alones (Abarat, The Little Prince, Alice in Wonderland, and all of Neil Gahmain's kid's books), and this series will be joining them. It's written by a teacher, which usually means it will at least be a solid effort, and was written for his son, so it's already been approved by a kid.
The story is solid too, Greek gods are alive and live amoung us. Still as gods, of course, and they go around doing god things and siring kids all over, and out hero Percy is the son of one of them. You get to meet various villian from Green mythology (Medusa was my favorite so far), and you get to meet the Gods, and since it's written from teh perspective of a 12 year old with ADD, it's a hellof a lot of fun.
If you have kids from about 8-15, have them sit down and read them. Hell, you just sit down and read them and see what you think. They are pretty cool.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, I hadn't heard of them, they sound fun. My kids might like that. I love mixing mythology and childrens fiction. Growing up Susan Coopers "Dark is Rising" series was my favorite. I loved the mix of Druidic myth and fantasy story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome! I keep finding that some of the best fun fantasy stories are in the "young adult" catagory, it's not fair! Grownups get heavy stuff, kids get the really awesome stuff! Heh.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are now not moderated. Have at it folks! Don't make me regret it.